World of Warcraft Cataclysm: Mastery Abilities
This article will give an overview of the new mastery talents implemented as part of the new talent trees in preparation for the next World of Warcraft expansion Cataclysm.
The new mastery abilities are different not just for every class but for every spec for each class. Mastery can only be learnt at level 80 and as player's mastery increases the abilities will increase also. When Cataclysm is introduced many items will have mastery as a secondary stat, in the meantime players can add mastery to their items by visiting a reforger.
- Balance Mastery: Total Eclipse - increases the damage when eclipse is active.
- Feral Mastery: Savage Defender - absorbs damage when the druid is a tank in bear form. Razor Claws - increases the damage from bleeds when the druid is in dps cat form.
- Restoration Mastery: Symbiosis - increases healing on targets when they have a heal-over-time spell active.
The most major change is to restoration druids, tree form is no longer a shape-shift option; instead after spending 31 points in restoration talents a druid can turn in a tree to massively increase healing, however this ability lasts only 30 seconds and has a 3 minute cool down.
- Frost Mastery: Frozen Heart - increases damage from Frost spells.
- Unholy Mastery: Blight Caller - increases the damage done from diseases.
- Blood Mastery: Blood Shield - absorbs damage.
A major change to Death Knights is that Blood spec is now used for tanking not Frost which is now purely for damage.
- Beast Master Mastery: Master of Beasts - increases the damage done by the hunter's pets.
- Marksmanship Mastery: Wild Quiver - chance of an additional ranged shot being cast dealing 100% of normal damage.
- Survival Mastery: Essence of the Viper - increases all elemental damage (frost, fire etc.).
A major change to Hunters is that they no longer use mana, instead they have focus which works similarly to energy on rogues or feral cat druids.
- Arcane Mastery: Mana Adept - increases spell damage relative to the mage's mana pool.
- Fire Mastery: Flashburn - increases fire spell damage.
- Frost Mastery: Frostburn - increases damage against frozen targets.
- Holy Mastery: Illuminated Healing - healing spells place a damage absorbing shield on the target.
- Protection Mastery: Divine Bulwark - increases dodge chance of melee attacks.
- Retribution Mastery: Hand of Light - auto attacks have a chance of the next holy power ability to consume holy power but be equal in damage to 3 holy power being used.
- Discipline Mastery: Shield Discipline - increases the power of all damage absorption spells.
- Holy Mastery: Echo of Light - healing spells heal more over time.
- Shadow Mastery: Shadow Orbs - chance of Shadow Word: Pain or Mind Flay to grant Shadow Orbs which greatly increase damage from Mind Blast or Mind Spike spells.
- Assassination Mastery: Potent Poisons - increases the damage dealt from poisons.
- Combat Mastery: Main Gauche - main hand attacks have a chance to grant an off-hand attack.
- Subtlety Mastery: Executioner - increases the damage dealt from finishing moves.
- Elemental Mastery: Elemental Overload - chance of second lightning bolt, chain lightning or lava burst to be cast at no cost, causes no threat and deals 75% of damage.
- Enhancement Mastery: Enhanced Elements - damage from frost, fire and nature increased.
- Restoration Mastery: Deep Healing - amount healed by direct healing spells is increased relative to the target's health.
- Affliction Mastery: Potent Afflictions - increases periodic shadow damage.
- Demonology Mastery: Master Demonologist - damage dealt by warlock's demons increased and when the warlock is in demon form.
- Destruction Mastery: Fiery Apocalypse - fire spells damage increased.
- Arms Mastery: Strikes of Opportunity - chance of an additional melee attack to be dealt with 115% of normal damage.
- Fury Mastery: Unshackled Fury - increases the benefit of abilities that causes the warrior to be enraged.
- Protection Mastery: Critical Block - increases chance of block and the chance to critically block attacks.